Monday, November 29, 2010

W. Van nanny saves toddler from drowning

W. Van nanny saves toddler from drowning: "A West Vancouver nanny is being praised for her quick actions after she saved an unresponsive toddler who had fallen into a backyard pool.

The 19-month-old boy was at home in the 6100-block of Nelson Avenue when he slipped away from a parent and the nanny, climbed a barricade and tumbled into the water, according to police. One of the adults found him floating there a few minutes later. When they pulled him out of the water he wasn't breathing."

Toddler saved from drowning in Sharjah - Emirates24|7

Toddler saved from drowning in Sharjah - Emirates24|7: "Toddler saved from drowning in Sharjah
By Staff
Published Sunday, November 28, 2010
A toddler was saved from drowning in a swimming pool in a residential building in Sharjah, raising concerns of lack of security guards in most buildings.

Three-year-old Yasir Hussain from Afghanistan, who was playing with other children near the pool at his building, slipped and fell into the water, reported Gulf News.

The boys mother, who does not know to swim, jumped into the pool to rescue the boy screaming for help.

A neighbour, a doctor, rushed on and saved the child and his mother. The toddler was under water for about four minutes. He was unconscious when pulled out. After performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), Dr Omar Abdul Wahid called the ambulance and had the child admitted to Al Qasimi Hospital. He was later discharged after a thorough check-up.

The mother complained that security guards are hardly present at the pool. Meanwhile, an official at Sharjah Municipality, who declined to be named, explained that municipality inspectors conduct regular visits to swimming pools in hotels, clubs, villas, furnished apartments and residential buildings to ensure that safety regulations are being adhered to."

Toddler found in swimming pool at Glendale home | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Phoenix News

Toddler found in swimming pool at Glendale home | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Phoenix News: "GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Officials from the Glendale Fire Department said an eighteen month-old girl is in very serious condition after nearly drowning in her family's swimming pool.
The incident happened late Saturday afternoon at a home on W. Townley Avenue near Olive and 51st Avenues. Fire officials said the child's parents lost track of the girl for approximately 10 minutes before she was discovered floating in the backyard swimming pool
A total of six people were inside the home at the time of the incident, three adults and two other children.
The girl was transported to a nearby hospital where she is currently in serious condition."

---------------

Six people were in the home. It can't be said enough: drowning happens quickly, silently, and without warning. Layers of protection, including pool fencing, are the answer.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Trophy Club girl commended for saving toddler brother | News | The Times-Register

Trophy Club girl commended for saving toddler brother | News | The Times-Register

Kayci McKinnon will never forget saving her younger brother, and neither will Trophy Club.

At Monday's Town Council meeting, Kayci, 10, and her mother received recognition for rescuing and breathing life into the tiny boy.

"By every definition of the word, you are a hero," said Trophy Club Fire Lt. Shane Beck, awarding Kayci a plaque for pulling Robert Alan "Trip" McKinnon, 2, out of the family pool at their home on Greenleaf Drive.

Just after 4 p.m., Tuesday Oct. 19, Kayci noticed Trip face-down in the pool. She dove into the pool and pulled her brother out. At the same time, her mother watched Kayci jump into the pool and rushed outside, where she administered CPR.

"That's something you never want to have to do," said Jonna McKinnon, after receiving her own commendation on Monday. "It all happened so fast."

So fast, in fact, that McKinnon left boiling potatoes on the stove before joining her son on a CareFlite helicopter headed to Fort Worth.

Fortunately, fire never threatened the home since Kelli, Kayci's twin sister, remembered to turn the burner off.

Everyone in the family seemed to do their part, with brother Skyler, 9, dialing 911.

Trip was released from Cook Children's Medical the following day. The family has no idea how long Trip was in the pool or how he became unconscious.

"He has no memory of it," said Robert Alan McKinnon II, Trip's father. "We're just so blessed at how everything turned out."

Hiding his face from the smiling audience this week, the boy was overcome by the show of support.

As camera flashes illuminated the council chambers, those on both sides of the lenses knew how fortunate the family was in eluding tragedy.

"I think for a 10-year-old to respond that way this young girl did is uncommon," Beck said. "You may have kids who recognize an emergency, but this girl had the presence of mind to alert her parents and jump into the pool."

The city's fire chief describes the incident as rare.

"In my 28 years with Trophy Club, we've had four or five," said Fire Chief Danny Thomas, referring to response calls involving drowning or potential drowning. "To save a child from drowning is a really rare thing."



Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/16/2636479/trophy-club-girl-commended-for.html#ixzz15e4zevtp

Monday, November 15, 2010

Child nearly drowns in family pool | WCNC.com | Charlotte News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | WCNC.com | News for Charlotte, NC



Child nearly drowns in family pool

by DIANA RUGG / NewsChannel 36
E-mail Diana: Diana.Rugg@wcnc.com


Posted on November 13, 2010 at 6:46 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A young girl clings to life following a near-drowning in a back yard pool.



That little girl is currently listed in critical condition at Carolinas Medical Center.



Police say her parents weren't far away when she slipped into a pool.



Investigators say the parents were playing with their daughter in the family's back yard when a moment later she was gone.



The father checked the pool and that's where he found her.



The in-ground pool is mostly drained, so there was only a couple feet of water at most.



Police are not sure how long the little girl, believed to be about three-years-old, was underwater before her father found her.



The parents performed CPR until police and firefighters arrived.



MEDIC continued until they arrived at the hospital and doctors at the ER reported they did find vital signs.



Neighbors are relieved, but also reminded that losing sight of a child for just a moment around water can turn out disastrous.



"We didn't even know they had a pool back there, but that's number one priority for us -- especially having two young children. Always knowing the safety of where your children are at all times -- especially when they're young and don't understand water safety as much," says neighbor Brittany Rosol.





Drownings are the number two cause of unintentional injury deaths for children under 14 in the united states.



Layers of protection, including pool safety fencing, are the best way to prevent drownings.

Toddler remains critical | Ipswich News | Local News in Ipswich | Ipswich Queensland Times

Toddler remains critical | Ipswich News | Local News in Ipswich | Ipswich Queensland Times